You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

State houses gutted in Lower Hutt fire

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 30/05/2016

A suspicious fire has torn through state house units in Lower Hutt.

Firefighters were called to units in Hampton Court, off Cambridge Tce, on Monday night, after reports of a second storey blaze.

One family had been living at the end of the three state housing units but were able to get out, TVNZ reports.

Two units were due to be destroyed next week.

It took about two-and-a-half hours to put the fire out, Fire Service spokesman Mike Wanoa says.

One firefighter was taken to hospital with a minor hand injury.

The fire was deemed to be suspicious and fire investigators and police would visit the scene on Tuesday morning.

Meanwhile, a spectacular fire has badly damaged a house on the Otago Peninsula.

The house in Lower Portobello was believed to be empty when it went up later on Monday night.

Firefighters could see the flames from the Portobello Fire Station when they were called out, says southern communications shift manager Riwai Grace.

It took them nearly three hours to extinguish the fire.

The cause of the fire isn't yet known.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon