You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Supervision sentence for Filipo

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 1/11/2016

<span log-id="article-span" style="font-size:13px;">Wellington rugby player Losi Filipo re-sentenced for assault after again pleading guilty to the charge.</span> © Kai Schwoerer/Getty Images Wellington rugby player Losi Filipo re-sentenced for assault after again pleading guilty to the charge. Wellington rugby player Losi Filipo has been sentenced to nine months' supervision for his attacks on four people in Wellington last year.

The sentence was handed down in the High Court at Wellington on Wednesday.

Filipo, 18, had earlier this year been discharged without conviction for the assaults, including on two women, by a District Court judge but following publicity that was successfully appealed by the solicitor-general.

The promising rugby player declined to vacate his earlier plea and through his lawyer Noel Sainsbury said he was willing to be sentenced.

Justice David Collins said the seriousness of the attack warranted a starting sentence of two years jail, but once mitigating effects were taken into account the most appropriate sentence was nine months' supervision.

Filipo must undertake drug and alcohol assessment and a living without violence programme.

Justice Collins declined media application for pictures of Filipo in court because of his age and there were enough photos of him on file.

The case led to Filipo being withdrawn from the Wellington squad and the mutually agreed termination of his contract.

Mr Sainsbury said the conviction meant he would not be able to play rugby in the UK or Japan.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon