You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

The Latest: Charity investigates misconduct against migrants

Associated Press logo Associated Press 31/05/2017
A boy waits with others for the food distribution at the refugee camp of Ritsona about 86 kilometers (53 miles) north of Athens, Monday, May 29, 2017. The International Organization for Migration says more than 60,000 migrants have reached the shores of Europe so far in 2017, a sizeable decrease compared to the same period last year. (AP Photo/Petros Giannakouris) © The Associated Press A boy waits with others for the food distribution at the refugee camp of Ritsona about 86 kilometers (53 miles) north of Athens, Monday, May 29, 2017. The International Organization for Migration says more than 60,000 migrants have reached the shores of Europe so far in 2017, a sizeable decrease compared to the same period last year. (AP Photo/Petros Giannakouris)

BERLIN — The Latest on asylum-seekers and migrants in Europe (all times local):

9:15 p.m.

A charity says it is investigating two of its employees working with refugees in Greece in connection with allegations of "serious misconduct."

The statement from Portland, Oregon-based Mercy Corps comes after Greek judicial authorities ordered a probe into claims staff at an unnamed European Union-funded non-governmental organization sexually exploited refugees and misused money intended for their welfare.

Mercy Corps said in the statement posted Tuesday it has "zero tolerance for any form of harassment, exploitation, fraud or theft." It pledged cooperation with Greek authorities and program funders.

It said the employees mentioned in a call through its complaint hotline are on temporary paid leave pending an investigation by an expert in victims' rights.

It provided no details on the allegations, citing the need to protect the complainant's privacy and the investigation's integrity.

___

4:45 p.m.

Austrian officials say 17 Afghans have been returned to their homeland, adding to the hundreds this year forced to leave Austria after their requests for asylum were rejected.

Interior Ministry spokesman Karl-Heinz Grundboeck says the 17 were flown out Wednesday. Austria considers parts of Afghanistan safe enough to return would-be refugees who do not qualify for that status. Among them is Kabul, the Afghan capital, where 80 people died in a massive suicide bombing blast Wednesday.

Official statistics show 309 Afghan migrants left Austria in the first four months of 2017 after being turned down for asylum. Of these, 39 were returned to Afghanistan, while the others were transported to the first EU countries they reached before traveling to Austria.

___

4:10 p.m.

Germany's top security official says he's ordered the re-examination of up to 100,000 decisions granting asylum to migrants after uncovering mistakes in a smaller probe undertaken after a German soldier was able to pass himself off as a Syrian refugee in a bizarre far-right plot.

Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere told reporters Wednesday that checks of 2,000 applications revealed no other cases like that of Franco A., who managed to pass himself off as a Syrian refugee in 2015, get a place at a refugee home and receive state financial aid. Authorities allege he was part of a far-right plot to assassinate political figures and blame refugees.

But de Maiziere said other errors were uncovered and he's ordered 80,000 to 100,000 decisions to be re-checked.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon