You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Threats made to schools across country

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 6 days ago

Threatening phone calls have prompted evacuations of several schools across the country.

Police said while a number of "calls of a concerning nature" had been made against schools around the country on Thursday, it had not been established whether there was any actual danger.

"Police are working with the schools' management teams to decide on the appropriate response."

Tahatai Coast School in Tauranga said it received a bomb threat and was moving students to the nearby Granada Reserve.

Berkley Normal Middle School in Hamilton also moved its students to its fields and said it was confident the call was a "bomb hoax", while Papakura High School in Auckland said it had evacuated at 11.15am but students had returned to class after police searched the area.

Wellington High School was also temporarily evacuated, as were Dunedin's Logan Park High School, Picton Primary School and Picton Kindergarten and reportedly Medbury School in Christchurch.

Police said it appeared the calls were similar to a series that cleared schools earlier in the year, which had come from overseas.

"We should make it clear that while such calls may display a New Zealand number, they can still be originating from overseas."

They declined to say which schools, or how many, had received the threats and how many were evacuated.

In February, 27 schools received concerning automated phone calls, although no actual threat was ever established.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon