You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Three scenes being examined by police

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 26/04/2017

Forensic staff are searching the home of Ben McLean, the man who allegedly killed his wife and badly injured a man in Invercargill on Anzac Day.

Police confirmed on Thursday afternoon the victim in the shooting was Verity Ann McLean, 40. A post-mortem examination is due to be conducted later on Thursday.

Although police have not released the name of the second victim, media are reporting it is Garry William Duggan.

Police southern district commander Superintendent Paul Basham said that Ben McLean's house on Scott Street is being examined, along with the crime scene on Otepuni Avenue and a park area at Inglewood Road and Tweed Street.

Mr Duggan and McLean are both in a stable condition in Southland Hospital.

Mr Basham confirmed that the criminal investigation would be carried out by two senior CIB staff, who have come to Invercargill from Dunedin and Canterbury.

The Independent Police Conduct Authority will also be "proactive" in the investigation, Mr Basham said.

In calling for witnesses, he said "our priority must be to protect the integrity of the investigation and the court process to come.

"This means we are unable to discuss or confirm specific details about what happened, or details of the investigative steps we are taking.

''We are still in the early stages of the inquiry, and it will take time for us to build an accurate, verified picture of this tragedy."

On Wednesday, Mr Basham said a police issue weapon was not used in the shooting but it was too early to say what sort of firearm was used and how many shots were allegedly fired by McLean.

A ballistics expert from Auckland will piece together what happened at Otepuni Avenue.

McLean handed himself into the Invercargill police station, where he worked, 40 minutes after the shooting.

He was transferred to hospital - although what injuries he suffered have not been made clear - and charged with murder and attempted murder on Wednesday at a bedside hearing with a judge present.

He was remanded in custody until May 18.

Supt Basham said the incident had produced shock and dismay among Invercargill police staff, who were also getting support.

"While devastating, this is a one-off event and we cannot recall a similar tragedy like this in recent times to allegedly involve a serving police officer," he said.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon