You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Toddler Sanaya Shaib grew up in 'dysfunctional' environment and was treated by an ambulance for a 'seizure' a week ago.

Mamamia logo Mamamia 12/04/2016 Shauna Anderson

Sanaya Shaib with her mother Sofina Nikat. © AAP Image Sanaya Shaib with her mother Sofina Nikat. Three days after toddler Sanaya Shaib was murdered – after being reportedly taken from her pram by a shoeless drunken man in Olympic Park in Melbourne’s north –  there have still been no arrests made over the death, nor any images released of a suspect but what is unravelling is a complicated tale of dysfunction and proximity to violence in her short life.

In a disturbing twist it has been reported that just a week ago paramedics treated the little girl for a “seizure” when an ambulance attended the Heidelberg West home belonging to a close relative on Sunday, April 3. The Herald Sun reports that an ambulance was called to her uncle Habib Ali’s home in Perth St for several hours.

The Herald Sun writes that paramedics aired concerns the seizure was triggered because the youngster had been smothered, causing her to fit due to a lack of oxygen.

Her uncle, Mr Ali told reporters yesterday that while Sanaya went to hospital she was fine in the end. "It was nothing really.”

A week later the body of the toddler was pulled from a creek less that 24 hours after she was reported missing by her mother.

Sanaya's mother Sofina Nikat, 22, said that a man aged between 20 and 30 who smelt of alcohol and was not wearing any shoes took her daughter as they walked through Olympic Park on Saturday, she claimed she did not see the man's face and had stopped for a minute and was sitting on a park bench. The man allegedly approached the pram, unbuckled the baby and ran off with her.

A search later found her body at 2.45am. Yesterday a post-mortem was carried out on Sanaya and the cause of death of the 15-month-old  has been revealed. According to The Herald Sun Sanaya was smothered before she was thrown into the Darebin Creek.

Her mother, Sofina Nikat, and her father - from who Ms Nikat was estranged after a difficult break up - were informed of the death of their daughter on Sunday.

The Herald Sun reports that though detectives have scoured through hours of CCTV there was still no evidence of the alleged killer and no known witnesses who have come forward to verify Ms Nikat's story but it has been revealed that two men connected to the toddler are facing serious criminal charges - just in the week before her death.

The men, who can't be named for legal reasons are said to be close to the toddler. The Age reports that one is charged with serious family violence offences, including assault with a weapon.

Homicide detectives are examining any links between the men and the toddler's death.

According to reports Ms Nikat had been staying at her brother's home on Perth Street after her marriage break down.

On Sunday vision was played on television news of her being taken to a "safe house", according to The Age she has been instructed not to make contact with the relatives at Perth Street.

Her cousin, Irfaaz Ali, who is in court next month on a different issue told The Herald Sun the hours leading up to the abduction were just a normal day.

“Nothing special, just kicking back,” he said.

“She took her baby for a walk and just came back saying that, you know, something, like, she got pushed and the baby got taken.”

It is reported that homicide detectives have not yet been able to speak to Ms Nikat or Habib Ali, who owns the Perth Street house.The home was searched by detectives for several hours on Sunday afternoon - with bags of evidence being removed.

It is not known if police have questioned the child's father, Sameer Sahib.

Yesterday Habid Ali told media that his sister was receiving counselling.

"She's just disturbed and shocked, and she's crying a lot and she just doesn't know what's going on, she's in a hysterical state of mind," he said.

"Her family is back in Fiji, they're all praying and we're all praying for whoever has done this to be caught and taken by the law and dealt with."

He warned other families in the area to be vigilant.

"I would like to tell the neighbours around this area to be very, very careful, especially with the kids — don't go out in parks alone or at night or in the morning. Just be very, very careful."

Meanwhile last night Heidelberg United Football Club observed a minute’s silence for Sanaya before a soccer match against Port Melbourne.

More from

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon