You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Tremeloes duo's trial set for February 6

Press AssociationPress Association 5/04/2016

A trial date has been set for two members of pop group The Tremeloes who have appeared in a London court to formally deny indecently assaulting a 15-year-old girl in the 1960s following a gig.

Leonard "Chip" Hawkes, 70, and Richard Westwood, 72, both appeared via a live videolink from Reading Crown Court at the hearing held at Chester Crown Court.

A trial date has been set for February 6, 2017 after they each pleaded not guilty to indecent assault when they were arraigned on the indictment.

The complainant, a girl aged 15 at the time, claims she was assaulted in a hotel room in Chester after attending a pop concert in the city, sometime between April 1 and April 30, 1968.

Judge Nigel Woodward said: "As I understand, the defendants were members of a popular music group in the 1960s. A suggestion from the indictment is they individually sexually assaulted (the complainant), a 15-year-old girl who had attended the venue where they were performing, this later occurred at a hotel."

Hawkes, who is the father of Nineties pop star Chesney, still performs in the current line-up and appeared on the link wearing a light-coloured top.

He was flanked by Westwood wearing a black T-shirt and sipping water from a bottle.

Westwood, who sang lead vocals on 1967 number one single Silence Is Golden, retired three years ago.

Both listened intently, sitting up close to the camera.

Hawkes' barrister Liam Walker told the hearing: "Both defendants are suffering from acute illnesses. Mr Hawkes is due to undergo chemotherapy in November. He is going to need breaks."

He added that his client was currently under hospital care for cancer and appeared from Reading because "of his ill health" and inability to travel long distances.

Walker added that an application would be made to have the venue of the trial moved.

The judge agreed to special measures being put in place for the complainant.

Both men were bailed unconditionally.

The trial is expected to last around four days and is listed to be heard at Chester Crown Court.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon