You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Twenty people critically ill after Manchester terror attack with "horrific injuries" including major organ damage and potential loss of limbs

Mirror logo Mirror 24/05/2017 Anthony Bond

Credits: PA © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc Credits: PA There are fears the death toll following the devastating terror attack in Manchester could increase after medics revealed 20 people are in "critical care" and suffering from "horrific injuries".

Jon Rouse of the Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership said this morning many of those injured had injuries including major organ damage and potential loss of limbs.

A surgeon working on Manchester victims confirmed how he has treated injuries similar to those he has operated on during his time as a volunteer in Syria.

Jon Rouse told the BBC: "They've been the sort of traumatic injuries that you would expect in terms of the type of device used, the proximity to the people who were injured.

"We're dealing with injuries to major organs, we're dealing with loss of limbs potentially, we're dealing with embedded objects, all the horrific injuries that you would expect from the event that happened."

He said the victims were "receiving round-the-clock treatment from doctors and nurses".

Credits: PA © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc Credits: PA Dr Mounir Hakimi, a surgeon at a hospital in Lancashire, told Middle East Eye that he was scheduled to perform an operation on a young patient injured in the deadly attack on crowds leaving a pop concert at the Manchester Arena.

He said: "I’ve treated exactly the same wound in Syria."

"In Syria you wouldn’t have much time and we would have to use sedation as a light form of anaesthetic.

"In Manchester I’ve got until tomorrow to operate and I have advanced technology. The patient will have a general anaesthetic."

Some 59 people were hurt in the attack and 12 of those rushed to hospital were children.

Credits: Facebook © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc Credits: Facebook

Credits: @SparkleMax15 /Twitter © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc Credits: @SparkleMax15 /Twitter Salman Abedi, believed to have been born in Manchester and of Libyan descent, has been named as the suicide bomber responsible. He blew himself up in foyer of the Manchester Arena as thousands of young people left the concert.

The Islamic State terror group claimed responsibility for the barbaric attack, which involved a home-made device packed with nuts and bolts.

A total of 22 people died and a further 119 were injured. Ten of the victims have now been named.

A Polish couple who had arrived at Manchester Arena to pick up their children have been confirmed as dead.

Angelika and Marcin Klis took a selfie together in the city centre shortly before going to the concert to pick their daughters up.

Polish Foreign Minister Witold Waszczykowski said on Wednesday: "The parents came after the concert to collect their daughters and unfortunately we have information that they are dead.

"The children are safe."

A spokesman for the country's foreign ministry said "at least two people have died and one person has been injured" but could not confirm any further details.

Lisa Lees, 47, from Royton, Oldham, was also killed in the blast.

Lisa's brother Lee Hunter also confirmed her death.

"For those who don’t know Lisa is gone but never, ever forgotten. I love you Lisa I’ll miss you so much," he wrote.

He had been keeping friends and family updated on social media in the wake of the attack.

He posted: "My sister is still missing she was in the foyer of MEN arena last night if you know anything please get in touch."

You can read more on the tragic victim's of the attack here.

Meanwhile, fears are growing for Chloe Rutherford, 17, and Liam Curry, 19, a couple from South Shields, Eilidh MacLeod, from Barra in Scotland, Martyn Hett and Wendy Fawell.

Courtney Boyle, 19, and her step-father Philip Tron also remain missing.

Credits: Collect © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc Credits: Collect

Courtney Boyle, 19, had gone to the venue to collect her sister Nicole Boyle, 14, who had attended the Ariana Grande concert.

Credits: Collect © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc Credits: Collect Courtney, a Leeds University ­criminology student, was last seen with her stepdad Philip Tron, 32, just as the concert ended.

More from The Mirror

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon