You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

UK boxers fight on after terror attack

Press Association logoPress Association 24/03/2017 Declan Warrington

A British boxer who witnessed the fatal stabbing of police officer Keith Palmer has told how he wanted to continue with a planned fight to show everyone should "get on with their lives" in the wake of the terror attack.

Super-heavyweight Frazer Clarke was one of four British boxers who saw the attack unfold after attending an event at the Palace of Westminster on Wednesday.

However a little more than 24 hours later he won a bout with Italian Guido Vianello at London's York Hall as part of the World Series of Boxing.

"It was the atmosphere: everyone's talking about it, I couldn't get away from it," the 25-year-old said.

"But I'm not the victim. I was able to box.

"If we can't get in there and fight after what we saw, how does everyone there get on with their lives? Police officers lost colleagues, families, friends. We were the lucky ones so we had every reason to get in there and put a show on.

"Everything's gone through my head. But someone was looking down on us. We didn't go out there (in time to be caught up in the attack)."

Clarke had been with fellow boxers Pat McCormack, Muhammad Ali and Calum French at the Houses of Parliament when the attack took place and their coach Tony Davis helped those trying to save Palmer's life in the aftermath.

Despite being troubled by the incident, the British Lionhearts fighters went ahead with their fixture against Italia Thunder on Thursday night, and impressively won 5-0 overall.

More From Press Association

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon