You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Victory never made me an offer: Troisi

NZN 13/06/2017 Emma Kemp

Recalled Socceroo James Troisi has conceded he's likely to leave Melbourne Victory, claiming he's still yet to receive a single offer from the A-League club and that talks with his agent have ceased.

The attacking ace was arguably Victory's strongest performer last season and had been tipped to fill the marquee spot vacated by Oliver Bozanic.

Troisi maintained he wanted to stay with Kevin Muscat's side but denied reports that suggested the grand finalists had already tabled more than one offer for the 28-year-old.

"I haven't had an offer from Victory so I'm not sure what's happening on that front," Troisi said.

"There's other things happening as well. I can't sit there and wait and hope for something to happen.

"They have never made an offer so I'm not sure what the situation is there. I don't think they're speaking to my agent at all anymore.

"I enjoyed playing at Victory, I'm in good form there. I'm happy there. It's a good club, good fans, but at the end of the day there has to be an offer on the table for me to stay."

Troisi's form has sky-rocketed since trading in his nomadic career for a return to Victory, a move that paid dividends in the form of a first Socceroos recall since his Asian Cup heroics.

After unfulfilling stints in Saudi Arabia and China, he said the priority was to "choose pretty wisely" his next move with next year's World Cup in mind.

"Ideally the Middle East and China wouldn't be my first preference, but I just need to go where I can play," Troisi said.

"That's why I came back here, and it's another important year because we've got the World Cup this time next year.

"I've done what I've had to do this season, that's the main thing. It's not so much that I have to do well at Confeds to get a team. There's already interest there ... and we'll see what comes up."

Tuesday night's 4-0 friendly loss to Brazil at the MCG doubled as Troisi's first minutes since Victory's grand-final loss more than five weeks ago.

He "thoroughly enjoyed it" but admitted the Socceroos must banish silly errors before their Confederations Cup campaign starts in Russia next week.

"It's disappointing to lose and concede four goals - two set pieces and two unforced errors," he said.

"When you play against that quality you get punished.

"A positive is I'm pretty sure they didn't think we would play and press as much as we could. We created chances, we did threaten.

"In saying that, we have to rectify that pretty quickly because we've got some big teams and important games in the Confeds."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon