You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Webster faces uncertain Breakers future

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 3 days ago
Webster was involved in an alleged assualt. © Anthony Au-Yeung / Getty Images Webster was involved in an alleged assualt.

The New Zealand Breakers will front the media after star guard Corey Webster was charged with assault following an early-morning incident at an Auckland bar on Wednesday.

It comes five years after the 28-year-old was sacked by the club for using synthetic cannabis.

Club general manager Dillon Boucher will hold a press conference on Thursday after the club confirmed the arrest of the 28-year-old New Zealand international.

"The club is aware of an incident involving Corey Webster last night and his subsequent arrest on an alleged minor assault charge," a statement from the Breakers said on Wednesday.

The Australian NBL club said it wouldn't be making any further comment while it was making further inquiries into what happened.

Webster has been bailed and is expected to appear in court on Monday.

Webster served a one-year ban in 2011 after testing positive for using synthetic cannabis and was sacked by the Breakers. That followed him testing positive for cannabis while playing for the Harbour Heat in the domestic competition.

He was re-signed the following year on a three-year deal and last year signed another three-year deal with the four-time NBL champions.

The Breakers are currently fifth in the eight-team NBL with Webster averaging just under 12 points a game.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon