You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Witness denies saying Winders confessed

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 17/08/2016

Murder-accused Quinton Winders © Mediaworks Murder-accused Quinton Winders A detective has flatly denied that she suggested to the sister of murder accused Quinton Winders that he has confessed to homicide.

"I would not have said that," Turangi Detective Claire Rogers told the High Court at Rotorua on Wednesday.

Under questioning by defence lawyer Jonathan Temm, she agreed she and another female detective had visited Winder's sister at her Auckland home on April 22, 2013.

The pair showed Winder's sister CCTV footage of a blue jeep leaving Taumaranui and a letter.

Mr Temm: Do you recall you said to her her brother had confessed to homicide?

Witness: No, I never said that he did.

Earlier, Det Rogers said she had made inquiries with the Taranaki Deer Stalkers Association about Winders but denied she had requested a questionnaire be sent to members asking if they'd seen him with firearms.

George Taiaroa © Supplied George Taiaroa

Winders has pleaded not guilty to murdering road worker George Taiaroa, who was shot while controlling traffic with a stop-go sign near Atiamuri, south of Tokoroa, on March 19, 2013.

Another police officer, Detective Sergeant Miriam Reddington, was questioned about a visit she made to a Taupo man who owned a Jeep Cherokee - the model of vehicle seen speeding away from the scene of the shooting.

She denied being aware that the man had previous criminal convictions or had associations with the Mongrel Mob.

However, she agreed with Mr Temm that the number plate on the green jeep she inspected didn't look like a standard issue plate, but like a made-up replacement.

New Plymouth panel beater Kevin Davis gave evidence about a blue Jeep Cherokee that a tow truck delivered to him for repairs at the end of January 2013.

He said it belonged to Winders, who told him he had hit a hard clay bank while towing a trailer. Winders picked up the repaired vehicle on March 19, the day Mr Taiaroa was killed.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon