You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Woman in desperate search for husband lost in cyclone shares his haunting last words

Mamamia logo Mamamia 28/03/2017 Jessica Clark

Jenny Clarke and David Clarke © Twitter Jenny Clarke and David Clarke

A 68-year-old man whose wife was frantic after losing contact with him during Cyclone Debbie yesterday has reportedly been found safe.

Yesterday, Jenny Clarke launched a desperate plea to help find her husband, after she lost contact with him after he phoned to tell her the roof had been lifted off their home.

Her worry was heightened because of the ominous last words she heard from her 68-year-old husband on the phone.

"I'm so worried...he said something like 'I'm not going to win this one'," Jenny told The Courier Mail.

Jenny reached out to community groups on social media for help finding her husband, something made all the more difficult because roads are still closed and communities are still in lockdown.

"I am feeling desperate," she wrote in one Facebook post.


"I can't even get the police to go out because still in lock down. I am consumed with worry and guilt about not being there.

"I need to talk to Dave as I am very worried about him. He has chronic obstructive airways disease and I don't know if he can get to his [medicine]...I am frantic."

She said she was almost "passed the point of worrying about whether he's injured."

"If he had been he would be dead by now," she said.

Jenny was planning to hire a car to drive to her "near new" home in Proserpine - which was not in the Cyclone's evacuation zone - to search for David, but didn't know if she would even make it due to road closures.

Community members have responded to Jenny's desperate plea for help, telling her they would be able to check on David and her home when the storm subsided.

"Due to the power lines being down and damage they can’t do it tonight as it would be too risky," one wrote.

The full force of Cyclone Debbie - and the damage she caused - is not expected to be known until Wednesday morning.

Winds of more than 260km/hour have battered buildings and Queensland's coastline for more than 24 hours, with residents told to "bunker down", as 50,000 homes lost power.

More from Mamamia.com.au

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon