You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Wrong prescription leads to collapse

NZ NewswireNZ Newswire 2/05/2016

A 60-year-old woman passed out at a party after being given someone else's medication by her caregiver, the medical watchdog says.

An inquiry by Health and Disability Commissioner Anthony Hill has found the woman had been given anti-psychotic and anti-spasmodic drugs by accident, rather than her regular medication, while at a rehabilitation facility in 2014.

The woman's son was handed the medication by her caregiver as she was going to a family celebration and gave it to her later in the day.

But while the family was finishing up their dinner, the woman, in a wheelchair, turned green before passing out cold for almost a minute.

"Mum informed us that she felt tired and immediately slumped forward in her wheelchair, her body was floppy and eyes closed. She was unresponsive," her daughter told the commissioner.

Mr Hill said along with the woman's caregiver, a registered nurse had also breached her rights by not checking her properly or getting medical advice about a possible poisoning.

He asked for both to write apologies, and asked for a review of the rehab centre's medication management processes.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon