You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Yachtie charged after taking daughter

NZ Newswire logoNZ Newswire 15/01/2017

A New Zealand man who took off to Australia with his six-year-old daughter on a 6.4m cataraman has been charged by New Zealand police.

Alan Langdon, 46, and his daughter Que were located in Australia last week, almost a month after they were seen leaving Kawhia Harbour.

"A 49-year-old man is due in Te Awamutu District Court on January 25, 2017, charged with taking a child from New Zealand," says Detective Sergeant Bill Crowe.

Mr Langdon was in a custody dispute with his former wife, Que's mother Ariane Wyler, when they disappeared, prompting widespread searches of the New Zealand coast and sea areas.

Private investigator Col Chapman told Radio New Zealand on Sunday Ms Ariane Wyler had arrived in Australia from Switzerland, where she has been since early last month, and Que was now in her care.

Mr Langdon and Que landed at Ulladulla on the New South Wales coast earlier last week.

Mr Langdon told local newspaper the Milton and Ulladulla Times that he and Que were looking forward to much needed rest after the trip, for most of which they were left with just one rudder after the other broke.

It's believed Mr Langdon and Que had been in Australia for about two days before authorities were notified by a member of the public who had seen posters.

Mr Langdon is reported to be co-operating with Australian authorities.

Que does not have a passport and the pair did not enter the country legally.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon