You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Heathrow Airport incident: British Airways worker killed after two airport vehicles crash on tarmac

Evening Standard logo Evening Standard 14/02/2018 Patrick Grafton-Green

Passengers were evacuated from a plane at the Heathrow Airpor © Getty Passengers were evacuated from a plane at the Heathrow Airpor A British Airways engineer has died after two vehicles crashed on the tarmac at Heathrow Airport.

The man suffered a cardiac arrest when two airport vehicles collided on a taxiway near Terminal 5 on Wednesday morning.

Emergency services said they were called to a "serious accident" shortly after 6am.

London Ambulance medics attended and attempted to resuscitate the man, in his 40s, at the scene and on the way to hospital.

A Met Police spokesman confirmed at about 11am that he had not survived.

A BA spokeswoman said: "We are deeply saddened by this tragic incident and are offering our full care and support to his family and colleagues.

Heathrow Airport Heathrow Airport A Heathrow spokeswoman said: "We can confirm that following a serious accident involving two vehicles on our airfield, an airport colleague has passed away.

"Our deepest condolences go to the family and friends affected by this accident.

"We will be fully cooperating with the police in the investigation which will follow."

Firefighters were also called to release the man and another man from the wreckage of the two vehicles.

A witness told the Sun that they saw "blue lights everywhere" as emergency service vehicles descended on the scene.

© PA Passengers were taken off one plane as it sat on its stand waiting to depart. About 20 departing flights were delayed by up to several hours but Heathrow’s two runways remained open.

A spokeswoman for the Met Police said: "We were called at 6.06am on Wednesday following a collision between two airport vehicles on the taxiway at Heathrow Airport.

"Officers attended with London Ambulance Service colleagues.

"One male is believed to have sustained a broken shoulder; his injuries are not life-threatening or life-changing.

"Another male, aged in his 40s, was taken to a west London hospital with serious injuries. He has since died.

"Officers have informed next of kin. We await formal identification. A post-mortem will be scheduled in due course.

"There have been no arrests. The Health and Safety executive has been informed."

A BA spokesman added: "We have apologised to customers for the delay to a small number of our flights this morning, following an incident involving two operational vehicles at the airport.

"We are doing all we can to ensure they will be able to depart as soon as possible."

More from Evening Standard

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon