You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Abbott backs Morcombe film campaign

AAP logoAAP 1/08/2016 By Jamie McKinnell

Former prime minister Tony Abbott has thrown his support behind Bruce and Denise Morcombe in the final days of a funding drive for their biopic feature film.

The Morcombes want to make a movie based on their book about the fight for justice following their son Daniel's 2003 abduction and murder.

Mr Abbott said to lose a child under such circumstances was every parent's worst nightmare.

But he praised the couple for becoming tireless child safety advocates rather than "retreating into their world of private pain".

"As a result of the work of their foundation there is child safety material in schools, greater awareness of stranger danger," Mr Abbott told the Seven Network on Tuesday.

"The triumph of the Morcombes amidst all this tragedy is to try and bring some good from what otherwise is just utterly evil."

The campaign, which winds up on Thursday, looks likely to fall short of the $300,000 goal, with close to $133,000 donated on Tuesday morning.

Executive producer Rod Hopping has said none of the money will be accepted if the target is not reached.

Late last month, Bruce and Denise uploaded a video to encourage more donations by sharing some of the key moments written into the film's script.

They include the day Daniel went missing, the day his remains were found in an abandoned Sunshine Coast farm in 2011 and the day his killer Brett Peter Cowan was arrested following a carefully executed undercover sting.

In 2014, the repeat child sex offender was found guilty of Daniel's murder and handed a life sentence.

Cowan's final legal avenue of appeal was exhausted in March when the High Court knocked back his attempt to have the conviction overturned.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon