You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Abbott 'confused' after Hughes strike

AAP logoAAP 11/10/2016

NSW bowler Sean Abbott has made his first statement since Phillip Hughes was fatally struck by one of his deliveries almost two years ago, describing being in a daze and feeling "super tired" for days after the incident.

Abbott was not required at the inquest into the death of Hughes, who died two days after he was struck in the side of the neck during a Sheffield Shield match in November 2014.

In a written statement read on Wednesday at the Coroner's Court, Abbott says he was confused, upset and had a headache upon returning to the change room after Hughes was taken off the field.

"It was all a bit of a blur and I felt like I was in a bit of a daze. I felt super tired," he said.

"These feelings stayed with me for the next few days."

In his statement, Abbott describes running to the other end of the pitch and holding Hughes' head after he was hit.

"After Phillip was struck, I saw him start to sway and I ran to the other end of the pitch, and I held the right side of his head with my left hand."

He said he has not viewed the video footage of the match since that day.

He said people kept coming up to him in the change room but he can't remember what they said.

The inquest has heard Hughes' family is concerned the 25-year-old batsman may have been targeted by ungentlemanly bowling and sledging before he was struck.

Abbott, 24, who delivered nine-straight short balls before the incident, says he can't remember sledging being directed towards the batsman or anything unusual about the bowling.

He says he now wears a stem guard on his helmet at the crease to protect the back of his head and neck.

But he believes rules shouldn't be changed to stop bouncers being bowled.

"The same cricket ball will be hit and flying around whether bouncers are bowled or not," he said.

"There will always be risks to the game."

Abbott had been expected to give oral evidence until a NSW court spokesperson confirmed on Tuesday he would not be called.

The inquest at Sydney's Downing Centre continues.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon