You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Accessory to Vic murder denied bail

AAP logoAAP 16/08/2016 By Melissa Iaria

A man who admitted being an accessory to the murder of a Victorian mum who was beaten, burned and dumped in an old mine has been denied bail.

Dylan Jez, 24, pleaded guilty to being an accessory to the murder of mother-of-two Simone Quinlan, whose burned body was found near Bendigo days after she disappeared in August 2015.

Jez's defence on Tuesday argued for his release on bail, saying he had strong family support and could raise a $150,000 surety.

Police said he posed an unacceptable flight risk as he'd previously failed to answer bail four times.

Magistrate Ross Maxted - who'd earlier discharged a charge of murder against the accused due to lack of evidence - refused Jez's bid for freedom.

He said the flight risk was too great, the victim's family opposed Jez's release and police had raised concerns for his safety if he was freed.

Also on Tuesday a supporter of the victim faced the same magistrate for potential contempt of court after lashing out during the bail hearing.

The outburst occurred after defence barrister Adam Chernok said Jez's release would allow him time to spend with his ailing 69-year-old grandmother, who has cancer.

"The victim's f***ing children will never get to see their mother again, it's f***ing bullshit," the supporter said before storming out of the courtroom.

The magistrate then ordered his arrest.

Jez, who the court heard was high on ice at the time of the killing, is one of three men charged over Ms Quinlan's death.

Two others - her boyfriend Brendan Neil, 29, and Wayne Marmo, 25 - will stand trial for murder.

Last week, the hearing was told 33-year-old Ms Quinlan was beaten to death by her "ice-raging" boyfriend before being shot five times by his friend.

Her body was then burned.

Her remains were recovered from a mineshaft in Kangaroo Flat days after she was last seen late on August 24, 2015.

Jez was remanded in custody and ordered to appear at the Supreme Court on August 19 for a directions hearing.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon