You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Accused pedophile denied new bail in WA

AAP logoAAP 11/10/2016

A WA man accused of sexually abusing a girl who was pimped out by her own father has been refused bail after he failed to appear in court last month and instead went to a hospital to treat his stress and anxiety.

Alfred John Impicciatore, 46, appeared in Perth Magistrates Court on Tuesday via video link from Hakea Prison, where he has been since he was arrested at Royal Perth Hospital on September 9.

Defence counsel Mara Barone said Impicciatore went to the hospital about 9am that day and was seen by a psychiatric registrar in the afternoon, but police arrested him as soon as he was discharged.

Ms Barone said Impicciatore had been insulted and assaulted by members of the public at a previous court appearance on August 26 when his lawyer at the time could not attend due to illness.

She said it was a particularly confronting court appearance for Impicciatore, who had tried to hide in the toilets afterwards to avoid the media and public before security told him he had to leave and police were unable to give him an escort.

Ms Barone said Impicciatore had a history of mental health issues and was suicidal, choosing to seek medical attention rather than appearing in court.

Prosecutor Justin Whalley said the state opposed bail because there was an unacceptable risk that Impicciatore might not show up and his excuse for not appearing last month was insufficient.

Mr Whalley said it had been 18 months since the charges were laid and Impicciatore had gone through five lawyers.

He said the prosecution case was strong and Impicciatore was dragging proceedings out to avoid his inevitable conviction and jail time.

The magistrate agreed with Mr Whalley, saying there were no conditions that would minimise the risk.

Impicciatore is charged with several offences, including four counts of sexually penetrating a child, and has been warned he must enter a plea at his next court appearance on October 26.

Eight men were originally named in the notorious case, with the group dubbed the "Evil 8" by media, but one of them was not charged with offences related to the girl, who was abused when she was aged between 11 and 13.

Those jailed so far include the victim's father, who is appealing his 22-year sentence; former pastor Dawid Volmer, who was handed 10-and-a-half years behind bars; photographer Benjamin Simon Clarke, who was imprisoned for three years; and Nicholas Adam Beer, who was jailed for seven years.

Troy Phillip Milbourne and Ryan Trevor Clegg have both pleaded guilty but are yet to be sentenced.

Readers seeking support and information about suicide prevention can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or MensLine Australia 1300 78 99 78.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon