You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Accused Sydney terror fighter refused bail

AAP logoAAP 3/11/2016

A Sydney man accused of travelling to the Middle East to fight alongside a terror group has been denied bail.

Mehmet Biber did not apply for release and it was formally refused during a brief appearance at Parramatta Local Court on Thursday afternoon, following his dramatic arrest nearby earlier in the day.

His case will return to court on December 15, where he is due to appear via video link.

The 24-year-old stood with his hands behind his back and said little but to confirm he could hear and understand the magistrate.

His lawyers said nothing upon leaving court and there did not appear to be any friends or relatives in the courtroom.

Biber travelled to Syria in January 2013 and allegedly fought with an al-Qaeda affiliated group then called Jabhat al-Nusrah.

He returned in February 2014 and has been living in southwest Sydney with his wife and young daughter.

He stands accused of entering a foreign state intending to engage in hostile activity.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon