You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

After Tialeigh - more child safety workers

AAP logoAAP 8/10/2016

An extra 82 child safety workers will be employed in Queensland to deal with urgent caseloads in the wake of the murder of schoolgirl Tialeigh Palmer.

Child Safety Minister Shannon Fentiman says $7.8 million will be spent annually on the full-time staff, which includes frontline workers and is addition to 47 previously announced positions to be filled by the end of the year.

"We know that child safety staff are under pressure," she said on Saturday.

"This will mean that our child safety staff can respond quicker to investigations and assessments of alleged reports of child abuse and neglect."

Ms Fentiman said child safety department workers were under pressure following severe cuts in previous years.

She also announced a new partnership with the Queensland fire service to make foster homes safe and flagged an upcoming recruitment drive for foster and kinship carers.

The Child Safety Department has been on the backfoot since foster carer Rick Thorburn was charged with the murder of 12-year-old Logan girl Tiahleigh, whose body was found on a river bank almost a week after she went missing in 2015.

The state government has set up an expert panel to support a review into the child safety system after charges were laid against Thorburn and his family.

Thorburn's son Trent, 19, has been charged with incest, perjury and attempting to pervert the course of justice while his wife Julene, 54, and another son Josh, 20, have both been charged with perjury and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon