You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Annette Mason inquest to be reopened

AAP logoAAP 21/11/2016 Jamie McKinnell

An inquest into the death of Queensland teenager Annette Mason will be reopened 27 years after she was killed in Toowoomba.

The 15-year-old was found bludgeoned to death in the front bedroom of her home and, despite an inquest two years later, nobody has ever been charged over the murder.

The probe heard from 25 witnesses, but the coroner found there was insufficient evidence to establish the identity of the murderer.

Attorney-General Yvette D'Ath on Monday announced she had instructed the coroner to reopen the inquest, believing it was "in the interests of justice".

"I met with the Mason family in relation to this case earlier this year, and since that time my department has been in regular contact with them," she said in a statement.

Ms D'Ath urged anyone with information about the death to come forward and said a $250,000 reward for information leading to a conviction remained on offer.

The initial inquest was closed subject to "reopening at any stage should further evidence become available".

In June, the Liberal National Party opposition promised to reopen the matter, if it was elected, in light of new evidence.

LNP Leader Tim Nicholls said information that had been given to shadow attorney-general Ian Walker would form the basis of the investigation.

"We understand some people may be fearful to present this evidence for fear of retaliation from certain parties," Mr Walker said at the time.

"But Annette's family deserves the answers they've been denied for nearly 30 years."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon