You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

AVO appeal fails for Salim Mehajer

AAP logoAAP 12/10/2016 Andrew Leeson

Controversial Sydney property developer Salim Mehajer has lost his bid to overturn a court order preventing him from approaching the father of a Lindt Cafe siege survivor.

In March a magistrate dismissed an intimidation charge against the former Auburn council deputy mayor but extended for 12 months an AVO made against him in relation to Bruce Herat, father of Joel Herat.

Mehajer challenged the continuation of the AVO in the District Court in Sydney on Wednesday but Judge Paul Conlon dismissed his appeal and confirmed the order.

Mehajer's lawyer Simon Buchen said the AVO had been made without sufficient evidence of a threat being made against Mr Herat.

As the intimidation charge had been dismissed, there was not enough evidence to justify the AVO, he said.

Mehajer had been accused of threatening to kidnap Mr Herat's children and of claiming to have people working in the police who would shoot Mr Herat, a personal trainer.

But Mehajer had told the magistrate the foul language he was accused of using wasn't even in his vocabulary.

Judge Conlon said this had been a poor attempt by Mr Mehajer to try to paint himself as some sort of "choir boy" at the time.

At one stage, when the judge was reading the court papers, he paused to tell Mehajer to put away his phone and stop texting.

Judge Conlon said although it was a case of Mehajer's word against Mr Herat's he found parts of Mehajer's account "totally implausible".

In July his wife, Aysha, also took out an AVO against Mehajer preventing him from seeing or contacting her.

Mehajer first grabbed public attention in 2015 when he shut down a local street in the suburb of Lidcombe for his lavish nuptuals, which included a fighter jet flyover, $50 million worth of luxury cars and an ARIA-award-winning wedding singer.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon