You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Bail bid over slain Vic mum case draws ire

AAP logoAAP 15/08/2016 By Melissa Iaria

A supporter of a mum who was beaten to death, burned and dumped in a disused mine shaft in rural Victoria has lashed out during a bail hearing for a man charged over her death.

Dylan Jez, 24, pleaded guilty on Monday to being an accessory to the murder of mother-of-two Simone Quinlan, 33, whose burned body was found near Bendigo days after she disappeared in August 2015.

Applying for bail, defence barrister Adam Chernok told Melbourne Magistrates Court that being released from custody would give Jez the chance to spend time with his ailing 69-year-old grandmother, who has cancer.

The remark angered one of Ms Quinlan's supporters in the courtroom, who lashed out during the hearing.

"The victim's f***en children will never get to see their mother again, it's f**king bull***," he said, before storming out.

Magistrate Ross Maxted ordered that police arrest the man for a contempt of court.

Jez entered a plea of guilty to a charge of accessory to murder at the end of his committal hearing on Monday.

It came after the magistrate ruled there was insufficient evidence for a jury to convict Jez on the more serious charge of murder.

Jez, who the court heard was high on ice at the time of the killing, is one of three men charged over Ms Quinlan's death. Two others, her boyfriend Brendan Neil, 29, and Wayne Marmo, 25, will stand trial for murder.

Last week, the hearing was told Ms Quinlan was beaten to death by her "ice-raging" boyfriend before being shot five times by his friend and then burned.

The badly burned remains of Ms Quinlan were recovered from a mine shaft in Kangaroo Flat days after she was last seen around 11pm on August 24, 2015.

Mr Maxted will rule on Jez's bail bid on Tuesday.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon