You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Beck nose bleed in Hobart, admits unwell

AAP logoAAP 9/01/2017 Andrew Drummond

Germany's Annika Beck made the fourth round of last year's Australian Open but the world No.53 is about to arrive at Melbourne Park under the weather and struggling for form.

The 22-year-old on Monday suffered a nose bleed and needed medical attention during her defeat at the Hobart International.

The tournament's top-seed and world No.22 Kiki Bertens took the win 6-1 6-2 and after play Beck admitted she's been plagued by ill health since before her first-round loss at New Zealand's ASB Classic.

"I had several health issues when I came to Auckland last week so I wasn't feeling 100 per cent today and then I got nose bleed which is unfortunate," Beck told AAP.

"That's why I cannot play my best tennis and Kiki is a great opponent so against her it's not making it easier."

At 3-1 down in the first set Bertens requested a medical time-out as she dabbed at her bleeding nose on the side of the court.

She pushed on but was unable to put up much resistance.

"I'm just looking forward to getting healthy and being fit for Melbourne," Beck said.

"I've had several checks by the doctors, I've also had some MRIs to see what's going on. I hope nothing serious.

"I just need to find myself again and then I hope I'll be ready for Melbourne."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon