You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Ben Cousins gets bail in Perth court

AAP logoAAP 25/11/2016 Greg Roberts

A heavily medicated, smirking and coughing former AFL champion Ben Cousins has avoided being locked up after this week's court no-show and serious car accident.

Cousins, 38, retired more than six years ago but he was the focus of a large press pack three times in five days this week, including outside Royal Perth Hospital and Armadale court.

He faced six criminal charges in court on Friday.

Three are for possessing methylamphetamine, two are breaching a violence restraining order involving his ex-partner Maylea Tinecheff, who is mother to his two children, and one is for breaching bail.

His lawyer Michael Tudori successfully persuaded magistrate Brian Gluestein to release Cousins on bail by producing a GP's letter confirming that he was unwell when he was supposed to face Armadale court on Tuesday.

Cousins, a drug addict, behaved bizarrely, looking only partly aware of what was happening and repeatedly interrupted proceedings, including his own lawyer's defence of him.

He variously smirked, greeted another man facing charges as a friend, became anxious, angry and stood up when a police prosecutor suggested he faced urine tests as part of bail conditions, tried to leave and repeatedly loudly mumbled and coughed his way through the proceedings.

Mr Gluestein was moved to ask Mr Tudori "is this all for show? It's very distracting."

Mr Tudori said he was heavily medicated due to Wednesday's car crash with a truck in Perth's east when methamphetamine was allegedly found in Cousins' possession at about 1.20am.

He did not appear seriously physically injured but was suffering from poor health, Mr Tudori said.

He had been on his way to buy prescribed medicine when he was in the crash, the lawyer said.

Cousins spent several days in hospital under police guard after being injured in the hours after a warrant was issued for his arrest.

He is due to appear in Armadale Magistrates Court on December 13.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon