You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Boxing Day Test security under review

AAP logoAAP 23/12/2016 Michael Ramsey

Cricket Australia is reviewing security levels for the summer of cricket following a foiled terrorist plot to attack Melbourne's CBD on Christmas Day.

But security arrangements for the Boxing Day Test, where up to 60,000 people are expected to attend on the first day, will remain as planned, with fans subject to hand-held security scans and bag checks.

"Our security team is in contact with the relevant authorities to ensure we have the appropriate level of security at the Boxing Day Test and other cricket matches being held around the country," chief executive James Sutherland said on Friday.

"The safety and security of our fans, players and officials attending any cricket match is our number one priority.

"We applaud Victoria Police for their efforts this morning in neutralising the threat and we will continue to work with the relevant authorities to ensure the highest security standards and protocols are maintained."

The Melbourne Cricket Club last month ruled out a return of the MCG's so-called "ring of steel" temporary fence for the summer of cricket.

The maligned security measure was introduced for cricket matches in response to last year's Paris terror attacks but was dropped for the AFL season.

Australian paceman Mitchell Starc on Friday said he had full confidence in team security manager Frank Dimasi to keep the side safe.

"I think it's his 100th Test match (coming up) so he wouldn't be there if he wasn't good at what he does," Starc said.

"I'm sure he'll keep us thoroughly informed if we need to know about anything but, for us, it's training as usual.

"Obviously, we hear things on the news but it is what it is. We'll focus on the cricket and let Frank and the security guys take care of that."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon