You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Bridges felt 'violated' by paparazzo

AAP logoAAP 12/10/2016 Andi Yu

Celebrity fitness guru Michelle Bridges has told a Sydney court how a young paparazzo who filmed her while she was out with her family made her feel "threatened" and "violated".

The Biggest Loser star is seeking an apprehended violence order against 21-year-old photographer Liam Mendes, who filmed her at a restaurant and a supermarket on April 16 and 22 respectively.

Bridges arrived early at the Downing Centre on Wednesday morning, a little too early it seemed as the doors failed to open, ironically allowing waiting photographers extra time to take her photo.

After the 45-year-old gave evidence, magistrate Joanne Keogh said she needed time to consider the case before making a decision.

In the meantime, Ms Keogh dropped the interim AVO against Mendes, which had been in place since April.

Mendes's lawyer Ian Temby QC submitted to the court that his client's behaviour had been unwelcome and frustrating, but did not meet the legal definitions of intimidation, violence or stalking required to uphold an AVO.

Bridges told Mr Temby she was used to being photographed against her will in public places but that her experience with Mendes was different.

"This is the first time I have ever felt so intimidated and threatened and fearful," she said.

The mother-of-one said she was particularly concerned about "mistakes when there's children around".

"I was completely distraught," she said, describing how at least three paparazzi followed her and partner Steve "Commando" Willis out of restaurant Fratelli Fresh in Potts Point on April 16.

"I was more concerned about my four-month-old child who I'd almost fallen down the stairs with."

The prosecution played CCTV footage showing Mendes inside Fratelli Fresh and a phone video taken by Willis as the couple were outside the restaurant with their baby and two of Willis' children from a previous relationship.

"I'm not going to smile for you for because you're rude," Willis is heard saying.

"And you photograph my children without my consent.

"You are a bunch of scumbags."

A third series of CCTV clips were of Mendes following Bridges into the Potts Point Woolworths.

A phone recording made by Mendes and played in court showed Bridges pushing his phone away and saying that filming someone inside a store is "against the law".

Bridges said she was so rattled by Mendes that she called Willis and waited inside the supermarket until he came to pick her up.

Mr Temby said there was no rule against filming inside Woolworths and that police had not accused Mendes of any criminal behaviour.

At times during his grilling of Bridges, Mr Temby appeared to impatient when she added information beyond the realms of his question.

"You're meant to respond to my questions, not use them as an opportunity to give a little speech," he said.

After Bridges left the court, he told the magistrate she had been a "less than satisfactory witness".

Police prosecutor Stephen Dayeian submitted that Bridges' need for an AVO was valid because Mendes had caused her to fear.

Ms Keogh will make a decision on whether to grant the AVO on October 21.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon