You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Button battery warning ahead of Christmas

AAP logoAAP 30/11/2016 Stuart Layt

With Christmas fast approaching, parents are being reminded to ensure their children don't play with button batteries.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission estimates about 20 children per week are taken to hospital emergency rooms because of the small batteries, often mistaken for lollies.

Lady Cilento Children's Hospital emergency doctor Daniel Bodnar says parents need to act quickly if they think their child has swallowed a button battery.

"If they do suspect that their child has put a button battery in them, take them to see a hospital or GP to be further assessed," Dr Bodnar said.

A Queensland coroner last year recommended small batteries be plastic coated following an inquest into the death of four-year-old Sunshine Coast girl Summer Steer, who swallowed a 2cm lithium battery in 2013.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon