You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Cabrera's got a taste for big-time tennis

AAP logoAAP 9/01/2017 Andrew Drummond

Rising Australian tennis star Lizette Cabrera has had a taste of tennis on the big stage and wants more.

The Queensland teenager progresses to the Australian Open with a main draw wildcard after a second-round loss on Tuesday at the Hobart International, preceded by an upset victory against a top-40 player.

"I love playing in front of a crowd and having a lot of people behind me makes me want to work hard and stay motivated," the 19-year-old told reporters.

"As an athlete, especially a tennis player, you're a performer and you're going to be playing on big stadiums so it's important that you enjoy that and soak up the atmosphere."

Croatia's Jana Fett posted a 6-1 6-3 win over Cabrera.

The match lasted just 75 minutes during which Australia's highest-ranked (world No.208) teen succumbed to Fett's powerful serve and made unforced errors at crucial times.

But Cabrera leaves Hobart with her head held high after an upset win over Misaki Doi on Sunday, with the Japanese player's ranking since dropping two spots to 42.

Fett faced a scheduling dilemma going into Tuesday's match, needing to be at Melbourne Park on Thursday for the start of qualifying which coincides with quarter finals in the southern capital.

"This is the first time I was a bit sad I won because I can't play at the Aussie Open now," Fett said after play.

"It was a big decision, but I hope I made a good choice ... all day I was thinking should I play good, should I play bad.

"There will be lots of grand slams and lots of tournaments but this is my first quarter final and I feel like with my injury (wrist) last year I need some points to get back to my ranking, so I just thought this would give me the opportunity to do that."

The clash was also a problem for Fett's opponent in the final eight, Paraguay's Veronica Cepede Royg, as well as another quarter-finalist Elise Mertens.

The Belgian progressed in Hobart after American Sachia Vickery - also due in Melbourne for qualifying - retired five-and-a-half minutes into their clash on Tuesday.

Vickery's camp later revealed a right lower leg complaint was to blame for the withdrawal.

Open organisers release the women's qualification draw on Wednesday.

In other Hobart action on Tuesday world No.40 Monica Niculescu sailed into the quarter finals with a straight-sets win over Belgian challenger Kirsten Flipkens.

The Romanian won 6-3 6-2, using her trademark slice to outwit former world No.13 Flipkens in just 70 minutes.

She will likely meet Lucie Safarova in the quarter finals, the Czech first needing to beat Japanese qualifier Risa Ozaki.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon