You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Child sex accused attacked outside court

AAP logoAAP 4/11/2016

A former director of an out-of-school hours care centre in Adelaide has been found guilty of a child sex offence, his conviction sparking angry scenes outside court.

A woman hit and hurled abuse at Brenton Kelly Dickson as he left the South Australian District Court on Friday with another woman also abusing the 35-year-old.

Dickson had earlier been convicted on one count of persistent sexual exploitation of a child.

But he was found not guilty on multiple other charges related to his conduct, which the prosecution alleged included the grooming and abuse of up to 10 children between 2007 and 2013.

"You f****** loser," one of the women yelled at Dickson.

She said her daughter, who was the alleged victim in a charge Dickson was acquitted of, had trusted him for six years.

"What am I going to say to her now?" she said.

At his trial Dickson had pleaded not guilty to eight counts of persistent sexual exploitation and two counts of aggravated indecent assault.

Prosecutors alleged he was a child molester who hid in plain sight and committed his offences while working at two centres.

Dickson denied the allegations and said all he had done was hug children when they were hurt or upset.

He was suspended in 2013 after he was seen washing an 11-year-old girl's legs.

The case will return to court in December to start the sentencing process.

In reasons for his verdicts, Judge Michael Boylan described Dickson as an evasive and unimpressive witness.

In regard to the one guilty verdict, he said he was satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that Dickson had indecently assaulted the victim on at least two occasions.

"I am therefore satisfied that he is guilty of the offence of persistent exploitation of a child," the judge said.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon