You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Compensation expedited in baby gas mix-up

AAP logoAAP 6/09/2016

The NSW government will fast-track compensation for the family of a baby who was mistakenly given a laughing gas at a southwestern Sydney hospital.

Baby Amelia Khan was left with permanent brain damage after she was accidentally administered nitrous oxide instead of oxygen at Lidcombe-Bankstown Hospital in June.

Her parents broke their silence about the gross error on Tuesday, saying their daughter constantly suffers seizures and requires a high level of constant care.

"She will always have to live with the consequences of what was done to her at the hospital," Benish and Danial Khan said in a statement.

Premier Mike Baird has promised to expedite the compensation process for the Khan family.

NSW Health is also in contact with the family's lawyers to progress an early interim payment.

Another baby, John Ghanem, died in July in a similar mix-up at the same hospital.

The hospital's general manager and acting director have been stood down and an investigation is under way into both incidents.

A preliminary report pointed to "a series of tragic errors" at the hospital including incorrect installations of gas pipelines, flawed testing and significant clinical and management failures.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon