You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Conviction stays over Tas schoolgirl death

AAP logoAAP 28/09/2016 Andrew Drummond

More than four years after the death of 13-year-old Tasmanian schoolgirl Ashley Edmonds her family says they can move forward, citing a court's decision to uphold a conviction against the driver who killed her.

The Supreme Court on Wednesday dismissed an appeal by Bradley John Chaplin who tried to overturn a negligent driving conviction linked to the February 2012 death at Karanja in the state's south.

He had been driving his ute at about double the 40km/h speed limit past the school bus from which Ashley had alighted, when he hit her.

Outside court, parents Lisa and Jason Edmonds said the lengthy legal battle which has included two previous appeals both on the part of prosecutors and Chaplin, has taken an emotional toll.

"Hopefully we can move forward now as a family ... hopefully Ash will be at rest now," Lisa told reporters.

She was critical of the lengthy appeal process.

"I know they've got a lot of backlog (of cases) but I think it's something they've got to look at when there are deaths involved."

Chaplin was convicted of negligent driving causing death by a magistrate in 2013 and the decision was overturned on appeal to the supreme court.

But prosecutors appealed and the conviction was reinstated.

Chaplin's latest unsuccessful appeal means his four-month suspended jail sentence is expected to stand.

"The order of the court is that the appeal be dismissed," Justice Shan Tennent said on Wednesday.

It was a majority finding with Justice Stephen Estcourt dissenting from the overall decision of the court's full bench.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon