You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Elderly Qld couple evicted by sinkhole

AAP logoAAP 2/08/2016 By David Sigston

An elderly Queensland couple will spend another night away from their Ipswich home as a sinkhole continues to swallow their backyard, threatening their beloved Hills Hoist.

But Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale remains confident the situation at Lynn and Ray McKay's Basin Pocket home will be under control by the end of the week.

The couple spent Tuesday night in a hotel after their backyard started to disappear down a century-old mine shaft.

The hole had expanded from about eight to 10 metres in diameter overnight to about 13 metres on Wednesday morning.

Lynn's beloved Hills Hoist clothes line was dangerously close to the abyss, but Mr Pisasale told AAP he expected it to survive.

"It's probably about two feet away at the moment, but we expect it to survive," Mr Pisasale said.

Tests were run to determine if the water was contaminated and after receiving the all clear, work began to pump out the swirling mess of dirty water.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said inspectors from the Mines department were on site.

"Of course, to the family - they would be shocked ... and it needs to be stabilised as quickly as possible," she said.

The McKays have managed to stay relatively upbeat throughout the experience, Mr Pisasale said.

"They've been overwhelmed by the caring and compassion shown to them," Mr Pisasale said.

It is understood the mine was about 40 metres from where it had been originally marked on the council's town planning maps.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon