You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Essential Energy fined over worker's death

AAP logoAAP 13/09/2016

An Essential Energy worker who was electrocuted at work was knowingly put at risk by his employer and his death was easily avoidable, SafeWork NSW has found.

Following an investigation, Essential Energy has been fined $300,000 over the man's death,

The 47-year-old father was killed in Bulahdelah, north of Newcastle, in September 2013 when a live overhead conductor, which was not turned off, re-energised the bottom energy conductor that the man was holding.

SafeWork NSW found Essential Energy was aware of the risks of keeping the overheads live during the work on the bottom conductors but instead chose service delivery over safety.

The death was avoidable, said SafeWork NSW executive director Peter Dunphy.

"While I acknowledge Essential Energy's efforts since the incident, tragically a family is without a husband and a father due to something that should not have occurred," he said in a statement on Wednesday.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon