You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Fadi Fawaz insists he's NOT under suspicion for George Michael's death

Mirror logo Mirror 7/01/2017 Emmeline Saunders

Credits: Daily Mirror

Credits: Daily Mirror
© Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc
Fadi Fawaz, the former partner of George Michael, has insisted he's not under suspicion for the popstar's death, despite being questioned by detectives for five hours .

The former hairdresser has claimed the police were "amazing" and "supportive" in the wake of George's death, adding: "They have done what normally happens when someone dies. They have not been accusing me, never; they have been very supportive."

It comes as Met Police officers sift through interviews, photographs and statements to determine how George died on Christmas Day morning – with Fadi finding his body around lunchtime at George's home in Goring-on-Thames.

But questions have been swirling around his lover – despite there being no evidence of wrongdoing – and officers spent five hours yesterday questioning him about the events that transpired.

It's thought they also asked him about George's movements in the days leading up to his death, as well as his physical and mental state and his general lifestyle.

Carrie Fisher, Muhammed Ali, John Glenn, David Bowie 2016: A year of Iconic Loss Later, Fadi told the MailOnline that he and George were definitely in a relationship at the time of George's death, saying: "We were very much in love, very much together. Why would I be there [in Goring-on-Thames] if we weren't together? I was there the last day of his life. I was there."

Initially, George's manager claimed the Careless Whisper singer died from heart failure, but the post-mortem came back as 'inconclusive'.

Toxicology tests will now be run, and although the results won't be back for several weeks, it's now thought police are looking at an overdose of illegal or prescription drugs as the cause of death.

George had a track record of drug-taking, having battled addiction to crack cocaine, and was a habitual user of anti-depressants such as Amitriptyline and sedatives to beat severe depression, anxiety and insomnia.

Fadi, 40, who has been with George since 2012, previously told The Mirror that he'd spent the "whole weekend" at George's home, adding: "I was there Friday night and then I found him Sunday."

But then Fadi said George and he had spent the night George died alone, because he had fallen asleep in his car.

He said: "I never saw him. I fell asleep in my car and I never saw him that night. The police know everything. That's the most important thing."

More from The Mirror

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon