You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Father of NYE hit-run victim makes plea

AAP logoAAP 9/01/2017 Lucy Hughes Jones

The father of a cyclist killed in a hit and run in Darwin has called on the person responsible to hand himself in as a police manhunt enters its ninth day.

One of two men arrested over the death of 46-year-old Jason 'Dickie' McCormick was released from custody on Sunday, as police continue to search for the second suspect.

"We want him to come forward," Jason's father John McCormick told AAP.

"We want them to tell the truth so that they can be punished for what they've done."

Mr McCormick had fallen off his bike outside the Winnellie Hotel around 10pm on New Year's Eve when a car drove straight over him.

Two men who were allegedly in the rental car briefly stopped a short way past the scene before driving away.

Mr McCormick's father has returned his body to his hometown of Kyabram in Victoria, where a funeral and cremation will be held on Friday.

"I'll send his ashes back to his mates up in Darwin," John McCormick said.

"That's where he wanted to be scattered, that was his wish. That's where his home was."

Mr McCormick had lived in Darwin for the past 15 years, where he worked as a carpenter making cabinets for outback indigenous communities.

John McCormick said he'll remember his son's "cheeky grin" and his love for Jack Daniel's whiskey.

"He was a fun-loving, easy going sort of bloke," he said.

Mr McCormick was a regular at the Winnellie Hotel, and a wake was held for him last Friday afternoon.

"We gave him a good send off, people came from far and wide," John McCormick said.

"They're a good mob of blokes and girls. I'm glad I got a chance to meet his mates."

Mr McCormick, an avid footballer who once played for the Merrigum Bulldogs, was one of seven children born to John and Aboriginal elder Kitty McCormick.

John McCormick said the family wants justice for Jason.

"We expect them to go to jail, we don't expect them to be walking the streets and laughing about it," he said.

Wayne Abdul Sultan remains in custody charged with driving offences stemming from an alleged high-speed chase of the car believed to have killed Mr McCormick.

A 36-year-old man released on Sunday was charged with criminal damage in relation to an alleged break and enter at a Palmerston car wash five hours after the crash.

Police believe he wasn't in the car when it struck Mr McCormick.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon