You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Fire near Sydney NYE revellers contained

AAP logoAAP 31/12/2016 Andi Yu

A fire near New Year's Eve crowds broke out in the pool area of a large hotel and is now under control.

The blaze started in air conditioning equipment near the Four Seasons Hotel's pool, a NSW Fire and Rescue spokesman told AAP.

An automatic fire alarm went off alerting firefighters to the blaze about 7:40pm on Saturday.

Fifty people were removed from the George Street premises and no one was injured, the spokesman said.

Meanwhile, NSW Police advised people via its Twitter account to "remain calm and obey directions from emergency services".

Photos on social media show thick smoke billowing out of the building.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon