You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Flood risk remains for Adelaide Hills

AAP logoAAP 14/09/2016 Tim Dornin and Marnie Banger

Eighty homes have been flooded and 39 roads remain closed after torrential rain and gale force winds battered the Adelaide Hills, causing millions of dollars in damage.

Emerging from 24 hours of wild weather, local residents began the clean-up on Thursday as authorities warned that more rain was on the way.

River levels across the Mt Lofty Ranges had peaked, reducing any immediate risk of further flooding, but could be swelled by falls forecast for Saturday and next week.

Some centres in the Adelaide Hills, on the Fleurieu Peninsula and on Kangaroo Island had their wettest September day on record on Wednesday, copping more than 100mm.

That led to flooding across a wide area with the towns of Aldgate, Bridgewater and Hahndorf and Adelaide's eastern suburbs the hardest hit.

A forced release of large amounts of water from the Mt Bold reservoir also prompted the evacuation of about 75 homes around the Noarlunga area, where a flood watch remained in place.

Dan Adams from the Bridgewater Inn said the hotel's garden and carpark were completely underwater at one stage.

"The flooding has been so bad that it's ripped up bits of the carpark," he said.

"We had some flooding around a month ago, but we were far less prepared this time."

The story was similar at nearby Aldgate where the flooding ripped up parts of the road near the Pump Hotel.

Overall, the State Emergency Service took more than 800 calls for help, most for water into homes, for damage from falling trees or for areas where roads had been washed away.

Premier Jay Weatherill said the damage bill was still to be determined but it was safe to say it would run into millions of dollars.

Some of that, such as the cost of repairing roads and other infrastructure, would fall to governments, while some would be covered by private insurance claims, he said.

People affected by the floods could be eligible for $700 state government grants to cover immediate out-of-pocket expenses and similar grants to help with damage repairs.

Two emergency centres also remained open for those residents still unable to returns to their homes.

State Emergency Service chief officer Chris Beattie said attention was now turning to refreshing crews ahead of further rain in the coming days.

"Since May we seem to have had front after front after front and each one of those has brought with it many hundreds if not thousands of job," he said.

"Our volunteers are always there to assist the community in times of need but it's fair to say that after the last 36 hours they are tired. They'll be looking for a well-earned rest.

"But we'll be getting them focussed again for next week."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon