You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Four poisoned Qld students in hospital

AAP logoAAP 1/08/2016

Four primary school students from Brisbane's north have been taken to hospital after eating a poisonous camping product called Mystical Fire thinking it was a lolly.

A total of 25 students at Deception Bay North State School ate the product on Monday afternoon, causing them to suffer nausea and throat burning.

Mystical Fire is a corrosive powder that changes the colour of flames when thrown into a fire and is harmful when swallowed.

Queensland Ambulance's metro north senior operations supervisor Peter Batt said the children thought they had eaten "popping candy".

Mr Batt said the students did not eat enough of the product for it to be life-threatening.

Steve Ball told AAP his 10-year-old son, who is a student at the school, was offered what looked like "white popping candy" in a clear sandwich bag by a taller, older person in a black hoodie.

It is unclear whether that person was a student at the school.

"One of his friends had some and not long after his friend fell down on the ground and started shaking," Mr Ball said.

"He didn't know this older kid."

Mr Ball said the students were offered the powder while they were on break.

He said he hoped the older person had taken it to school thinking it was a lolly rather than someone attempting to poison children.

Two children were taken to Redcliffe Hospital and two to Prince Charles Hospital, all in a stable condition.

The Department of Education is investigating the incident.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon