You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Get NDIS back on track for the kids: SA

AAP logoAAP 1/09/2016 Marnie Banger

Disabled kids in South Australia have missed out because of the bungled rollout of the National Disability Insurance Scheme, the state government says.

SA Disabilities Minister Leesa Vlahos says IT issues mean only 65 children in the state have had NDIS plans approved since July 1, far short of a 772 target for the quarter.

She asked federal Social Services Minister Christian Porter to commit to getting the numbers where they should be in his meeting with state disability ministers in Sydney on Friday.

"The NDIS is designed to greatly improve the lives of South Australians living with a disability and their families, not cause more headaches," Ms Vlahos said in a statement.

On Thursday, Mr Porter said there had been issues with the new NDIS payment portal that had prevented some providers and participants from being paid.

He said he had ordered an independent review into the problems and had asked the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) to make several changes, including creating a transition management team.

He said he had also gifted the NDIA with 100 more staff to get the job done.

Ms Vlahos said Mr Porter's response this week had been encouraging but didn't mean people wouldn't be left out of pocket.

"I also want a firm commitment that the commonwealth will get the rollout of this scheme back on track by the end of the year so people can start to reap the benefits of this huge reform," she said.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon