You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Johnson family rejects Scipione's 'sorrow'

AAP logoAAP 27/07/2016 Daniel McCulloch

The family of slain Lindt Cafe manager Tori Johnson has rejected an expression of "deep sorrow and regret" from NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione.

Mr Scipione wants the families of Mr Johnson and Katrina Dawson, who also died in the Sydney siege, to understand that he is sensitive to the "tragic loss" they have suffered, an inquest has heard.

Part of Mr Scipione's statement was read aloud to the Sydney siege inquest on Wednesday by Dr Ian Freckelton QC, who represents NSW Police.

But barrister Gabrielle Bashir SC, acting for Mr Johnson's family, sought to have the remarks struck out from Mr Scipione's formal statement to the inquest.

Ms Bashir said she would not be able to cross-examine Mr Scipione about the sentence when he appears at the inquest as early as next week due to restrictions placed on the line of questioning.

"I feel compelled to put on the record for the family that we've made it absolutely crystal clear to Dr Freckelton and to those whom he represents what the family's position is in relation to such public expressions at this stage," Ms Bashir told the inquest.

"Dr Freckelton has put that on the record against the express wishes of Tori Johnson's family."

Dr Freckelton said no offence was intended and he would be disappointed if any was taken.

"There is an authentic and sincere empathy that is felt by the most senior police officer in NSW about the tragic consequences for these families," he said.

"I would be very disappointed if any offence was taken at such an authentic expression."

The family of slain Sydney siege hostage Tori Johnson has hit out at a statement of 'sorrow and regret' from NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione. © AAP Image The family of slain Sydney siege hostage Tori Johnson has hit out at a statement of 'sorrow and regret' from NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione. Coroner Michael Barnes said there was nothing to be gained from striking the paragraph from the statement.

Last week, Mr Johnson's mother Rosie Connellan called a senior police officer "an absolute disgrace" and stormed out of the inquest with her husband Ken Johnson after the man described the siege as "high stake games" and failed to apologise.

Mr Scipione and his deputy Cath Burn are expected to be grilled at the inquest next week about whether they inappropriately interfered with operations during the siege.

Coroner Michael Barnes said he would allow questions to be put to the senior officers about what they were told by - and discussed with - frontline commanders about the operation and tactics.

The line of questioning will be designed to reveal whether any of the senior officers inappropriately intruded - or failed to intrude when they ought to have done so - during the December 2014 siege.

Both officers, along with then-acting deputy commissioner Jeff Loy, have denied giving any order, guidance or advice during the stand-off.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon