You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Jones withdraws from Aussie Open defence

AAP logoAAP 8/11/2016

Matt Jones won't get the chance to defend his Australian Open title at Royal Sydney as he attempts to retain his US PGA Tour card.

Jones finished 126th on the US money list in 2016, just one spot away from automatically retaining his full card.

He was a solid 15th in the Shriners tournament in Las Vegas last weekend which was won by fellow Australian Rod Pampling.

Jones' best shot at regaining his full card for 2017 is to lift his ranking during the remaining events of the wrap-around season in the US including the November 17-20 RSM Classic in Georgia, which clashes with the Australian Open.

Jones, 36, told Australian officials on Tuesday he would be unable to defend the Open title he won in dramatic circumstances last year.

"Matt and his management have kept us in the loop with their intentions, which we appreciate, so it hasn't come as a complete surprise," said tournament director Trevor Herden.

"Obviously we'd love to have him defend his title, especially after all the emotions of his win on his home course last year, but it's not to be."

The Australian Open field is headed by American world No.5 Jordan Spieth and Australian world No.6 Adam Scott.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon