You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Juan Martin del Potro in doubt for Australian Open campaign

AAP logoAAP 20/12/2016

Argentine tennis star Juan Martin del Potro says he might have to skip the Australian Open, the first grand slam event of the year, and the Davis Cup tie against Italy.

"If I'm being smart, I know that I have 15 days of practice left for Australia and for my first tournament, and that's a goal I'm not going to make," del Potro said.

Del Potro said that in addition to taking a pass on the Australian Open, which starts on January 16, he may also have to look at whether to play the ATP event in Delray Beach, Florida, in late February.

Last month, del Potro helped lead Argentina's Davis Cup squad to its first championship in tennis' premier international teams event.

Juan Martin Del Potro at last month's Davis Cup final in Croatia. © Cezaro De Luca/Latin Content/Getty Images Juan Martin Del Potro at last month's Davis Cup final in Croatia. A former world No.4, del Potro's ranking stands at No.38 due to his many wrist injuries and operations.

"Tennis waited for me for two years and it can wait one more Australian Open for me," he said.

"But I also know that it's an important tournament and that if you do well, you can really move up in the rankings and be set for the rest of the season. I'm in a tough situation."

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon