You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Kyrgios will return better player: Millman

AAP logoAAP 9/11/2016 Laine Clark

Nick Kyrgios will return from his tennis ban a better player and person following his Shanghai Masters brain snap, fellow Australian John Millman believes.

World No.13 Kyrgios completed a reduced three week ban after undergoing counselling for last month's second round incident in China which also earned a fine for "not giving his best effort".

Australian No.3 Millman said fellow professionals would rally behind Kyrgios upon his return.

"Nick will be the first to admit in Shanghai he had a bit of a brain snap there," the world No.71 said.

"I guess we all support him and get behind him and hope that you learn from your mistakes.

"I know I have made a fair share of mine - they just weren't as publicised."

Kyrgios was initially suspended for eight weeks but had it reduced to three if he agreed to consult a sports psychologist.

Senior Tennis Australia official Todd Woodbridge this week said the 21-year-old had completed the suspension and could return to the ATP Tour when he wanted.

Kyrgios is expected to now prepare for his 2017 campaign starting with the Hopman Cup in Perth in January as he gets ready for the Australian Open.

Millman believed punters would see a changed Kyrgios next season.

"He's in the spotlight a lot and it's tricky for him, and he will be the first to admit that," he said.

"But what you want to see is improvement.

"I am sure we will see that.

"He will take responsibility and be ready to go."

Millman confirmed on Wednesday that he would return to the Brisbane International in 2017 along with fellow Australians Sam Stosur and Bernard Tomic.

Brisbane will boast five of the men's top 10 players - including Rafael Nadal and Stan Wawrinka for the first time - plus women's world No.1 Angelique Kerber and French Open champ Garbine Muguruza.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon