You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Man dies at central Qld coal mine

AAP logoAAP 30/08/2016 Melissa Grant

A man has been killed at a coal mine in central Queensland.

The 55-year-old mine contractor died at Glencore's Newlands open cut operation, near Glenden, around 10am on Tuesday.

Glencore says he was conducting maintenance at the site's coal handling and preparation plant.

"Operations at the preparation plant and open cut mine remain suspended while an official investigation by police, emergency services and the mines inspectorate continues," the company said in a statement on Tuesday night.

"Our primary concern remains the safety, care and welfare of the man's family and our Newlands workforce."

Glencore said it was providing support for the contractor's family and counselling for workers at the mine.

A spokesman for the Department of Natural Resources and Mines said earlier that mines inspectors were on site to investigate the cause of the incident before providing a report to the coroner.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon