You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Man in court for Claremont serial killings

AAP logoAAP 23/12/2016 Angie Raphael

A 48-year-old man has appeared in a Perth court charged with the murders of two women in the infamous Claremont serial-killer case, as well as sex attacks on two other victims.

Bradley Robert Edwards, from Kewdale, appeared in Perth Magistrates Court on Friday charged with the murders of Jane Rimmer in June 1996 and Ciara Glennon in March 1997.

But the investigation into the disappearance and suspected murder of Sarah Spiers in January 1996 is ongoing.

Edwards is also accused of abducting a 17-year-old girl in February 1995 as she walked through Rowe Park in Claremont, and indecently assaulting an 18-year-old woman during a break-in at a Huntingdale home in February 1988.

Edwards, who wore a red shirt, showed no emotion and only spoke to confirm his name to the court.

He was not required to enter a plea to the eight charges he faces and was told he could apply for bail if he wanted to in a higher court.

Edwards was remanded in custody to appear in Stirling Gardens Magistrates Court on January 25.

It is alleged Edwards abducted Ms Rimmer, 23, in the early hours of June 9, 1996, after she had been on a night out with friends in Claremont.

The childcare worker's body was discovered in Wellard on August 3, 1996.

Police also allege he abducted Ms Glennon, 27, on March 14, 1997 after she too had been on a night out in Claremont.

The lawyer's body was discovered in bushland in Eglington on April 3, 1997.

Ms Spiers, 18, is believed to have been the first victim in the killings, but the secretary's body has not been found.

Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan told reporters on Friday that the crimes shocked the public and there was still much work to be done.

"This has already been the biggest and most complex police investigation in WA history," he said.

"Hundreds of police officers have worked on this case over the past 20 years.

"The commitment of the WA Police and its officers have never wavered."

Mr O'Callaghan also paid tribute to the families of the victims for their patience, understanding and support during the investigation.

After revealing the new details about Operation Macro, Mr O'Callaghan said he might have jogged some memories for people and urged them to call Crime Stoppers.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon