You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Melbourne blackout as wild winds lash Vic

AAP logoAAP 2/10/2016 Helen Velissaris

Hundreds of people have been left without power in Melbourne after wild winds uprooted trees and brought down powerlines.

Winds of more than 93km/h hit the city on Sunday, with about 600 people hit by the blackouts.

The worst hit areas were Sunshine in the northwest and Kilsyth in the northeast.

The SES has received more than 400 calls for assistance since midnight on Sunday, mostly over fallen trees and building damage throughout the city.

The Bureau of Meteorology had said the winds might ease by Sunday evening, but a rainband developing in the west may bring thunderstorms.

"If it does produce thunderstorms, we could see strong gusts of winds right up to midnight," senior forecaster Scott Williams told AAP.

Up to 25mm of rain is expected in the central and eastern regions, with Mildura, Horsham, Warrnambool, Bendigo, Seymour, Maryborough, Ballarat, Geelong and Melbourne in the firing line.

A severe weather warning is in place for most parts of Victoria.

Two men had to be rescued by water police on Sunday after their dinghy capsized in Corio Bay.

And a man had to be treated for hypothermia after his kayak capsized in Mentone and drifted more than 20km south to Oliver's Hill, near Mt Eliza.

Passengers heading to Melbourne airport were also advised to watch out for delays, but all runways at Tullamarine remained open.

A Jetstar flight was moved to another gate to help passengers avoid the full force of the wind, an airport spokesman told AAP, but no flights had been substantially delayed.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon