You are using an older browser version. Please use a supported version for the best MSN experience.

Melbourne squat death 'not suspicious'

AAP logoAAP 4/11/2016 Melissa Meehan

The death of a man found in a government-owned house in Melbourne being used by squatters is not suspicious, Victoria Police say.

The body was found after 10.30am on Friday at a Bendigo Street home in Collingwood that had been previously acquired by the coalition government to make way for the East West Link.

The road project was subsequently scrapped by Labor and the houses have since been used by squatters.

Superintendent David Clayton said emergency services were called by a neighbour who's gone inside to check the squat.

"At this time it is believed that a male, in his 50s, was the only person present when police attended," Supt Clayton told reporters.

"At this stage there are no suspicious circumstances relating to the death."

Earlier police cordoned off the white blue and brick terrace house and questioned neighbours.

One neighbour told AAP the man had died of a drug overdose but that is yet to be confirmed by police.

Squatters had returned to the house on Thursday after being forcibly removed by police on two previous occasions.

Victorian Housing Minister Martin Foley this week said locals had complained the squatters were using drugs and were to blame for fights, theft and damage in the area.

The minister said security guards were forced to flee the homes on Tuesday night when a gang of armed thugs forced their way inside.

image beaconimage beaconimage beacon